In the inherently endless scenario model of Einstein’s Universe, truth is ever approaching a catalogue of alternate transformative options of ever more inclusive and refining degrees, wherefore the metaphysical might continually improve the scenario by conceptual discoveries of new generalised principles.
-– Buckminster Fuller, Synergetics:
Explorations in the Geometry of Thinking (1975)
We need a programme of psychosurgery for political control of our society. The purpose is physical control of the mind.
– José Delgado, Physical Control of the Mind:
Toward a Psychocivilised Society (1971)
For space science, like nuclear science & all technology,
has no conscience of its own…
– JFK, “We choose to go to the Moon!” (1961)
41. ARCHITECTURE BEGINS WITH THE CREATION OF A POLICE FORCE
Utopia has “nothing to hide.”
42. THE INTERIOR ISN’T EQUIVALENT TO WHAT IT CONTAINS
43. FORM IS THE ALIENATION OF STRUCTURE
(There is no “organic relation.”)
44. CITY WITHOUT WALLS = INCARCERATION BY OTHER MEANS
45. A UNIFIED ARCHITECTURAL THEORY OF FORCE
Strong, Weak, Electromagnetic, Gravitational.
(All matter is relative.)
46. PLAY ≠ WORK-IN-PROTOTYPE
Wage-labour isn’t a pretence to art.
47. TO BUILD: AN INTRANSITIVE VERB
D.I.Y. mutable urbanism.
“Anarchitecture: idées pour un ville aujourd’hui,” Manfred Schiedhelm (1969)
48. PROBABILITY EXTRUDES INTO FORM
Distribution as “identical processes producing different outcomes.”
49. DEPROGRAMMING THE ROTE STATEMENT OF THEME & VARIATION
(Another black day in another black year.)
50. EVERY CONSTRUCTION IS A THROW OF DICE
Illustrated histories of indeterminacy.
51. BUILDING AS TIME-SPACE RESONANCE
The poetics of quantum states as social determinate?
52. CONSTRUCTION PROCEEDS FROM CONVERGENCE OF CAPITAL ACCRUED INTO A CRITICAL MASS
“Manhattanism is the one urbanistic ideology that has fed, from its conception, on the splendors & miseries of the metropolitan condition – hyper-density – without once losing faith in it as the basis for a desirable modern culture. Manhattan’s architecture is a paradigm for the exploitation of congestion.” – Rem Koolhaas, Delirious New York (1994)
53. LIFE: (ON) THE ARCHITECTURAL MARGIN
54. FUNCTIONAL IS AS FUNCTIONAL DOES
The permitted square peg in the permitted square hole.
55. ARCHITECTURE IS THE HORIZON, GRID & PERSPECTIVE LINES BLOTTING OUT THE VIEW OF NO-END-IN-SIGHT
The human social form of capitalist social content.
56. IDEOLOGY IS REIFICATION IN PRE-CODED “GEOMETRIES
(Tidal planes hidden in the medium of force.)
57. POLYHEDRONS OF ALL SCRIPTURE
Illusion, stripped of its mystery, is a blank wall.
58. ALIENATION PULLED FROM THE BACKGROUND OF EVERYDAY LIFE INTO THE FULL WIDTH & DEPTH OF THE IMAGE
Towards an architecture of the unpresentable.
59. FORM IS CONTINGENCY
A nervous system evolves a body.
60. SYNTAX ACCUMULATES INTO A GRAMMAR
The Real is a system of abstract control ordained in the imaginary.
“Alien” elements maintained in dynamic equilibrium.
62. “MACHINES À HABITER”
Technology is alien life.
63. EVOLUTIONARY MACHINES
Hive aesthetics for new siliconised lifeforms (server farms, smart cities).
“Today the human race is a single twig on the tree of life, a single species on a single planet. Our condition can thus only be described as extremely fragile, endangered by forces of nature currently beyond our control, our own mistakes, & other branches of the wildly blossoming tree itself. Looked at this way, we can then pose the question of the future of humanity on Earth, in the solar system, & in the galaxy from the standpoint of both evolutionary biology & human nature. The conclusion is straightforward: Our choice is to grow, branch, spread & develop, or stagnate & die.” – Robert Zubrin, Entering Space (1999)
A hole suspended in a void.
65. THE ARCHISPHERE
Planetary geodesics of a fully-integrated system of “artificial life.”
66. THERE IS NO BINARY OPPOSITION
Spatial relations are a variable force-field.
67. PERTURBATIONS OF THE IMAGINARY PRODUCE REAL CATASTROPHES
Panopticism is symbolic self-enucleation.
(Architecture as “ophthalmic psychosis.”)
68. BIOTECHNOLOGY IS URBANISM’S FEMME FATALE
Amniosacs for “social” preconditioning.